Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Polaris 7: 20 ODD Years & Native Speaker

I feel like a ghost, or a zombie, or some other sort of paranormal creature.  I have been up for many hours thanks to a red eye from Victoria to Toronto.  I lost three hours and slept for two.  Tonight, when my head hits that cool side o' the pillow it will be a sweet release no doubt.

Spent a good chunk of the day listening to these two albums on rdio (check it out. it's amazing and may save the art of the LP).  Mainly positive today:

Buck 65 - 20 Odd Years
Somebody commented on this album on Rdio saying "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius." I wouldn't disagree.  His voice is the voice of a man rather than a caricature and his lyrics are honest and intimate.  Buck 65 is a lot like Joel Plaskett or the Hip to me.  He is undoubtably canadian.  Without wanting to be sentimental this album sounds like the airports and hotels and kitchens and tracks that I have been travelling this summer. From Victoria to Moncton.  With the help of Gord Downie, Hannah Georgas, and Jenn grant (to name some) 20 ODD YEARS plays out like a courtship.  You get to know the album as you listen and respond to it and it finds a way into your heart.  Sometimes spiritual (who by fire) sometimes twisted (Whispers of the Waves) and sometimes gentle (she said yes) this is an album with the fingerprints of Al Purdy and Leonard Cohen.

Shotgun Jimmie - Transistor Sister
16 songs. 30mins. 13 seconds. 1 fucking awesome rock record.  I love it. Please listen to it and share it with your friends. "it's late/the bar's closed/it's not too late to walk it/i have a beer in my pocket" says most of it.  It is an album that I want to listen to while riding my bike drunk down gordon st. on my way to drinking a shit ton of beer in Kyle's backyard. Fav tune: King of Kruezberg.

Braids - Native Speaker
This an album about the beauty of waste and sex and growing up as a generation raised on indie songs.  technically they call it shoegaze (whatever the fuck that even means).  I call it a great effort by a young band.  Sensitive, ambitious, and at most times mature.  The voice and the guitar hooked me and the soundscapes kept me listening.  Tunes: Same Mum, Lemonade, Plath Heart.

Keep your ears tuned to the Polaris short list tomorrow.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment