Sunday, December 26, 2010

Marathon Mix

Hi! You may not know me, I'm a guest to this little blog.  My name is rob and I'm gonna give ya'll my top10 marathon songs. These songs actually have nothing to do with the marathon, I just happen to be training for a marathon and I run with my mp3 player blasting the tunes most days. Some people say that real runners don't run with music. Those people are stupid. Another note I should make here, I'm old and lame and have no interest in new music. All this stuff is from back when I was younger and not quite as lame. Oldies but goodies folks, remember that.  Alright, so lets get at it. My music tastes are not very mind blowing or profound. I like my music the same way I like my love making; loud, fast and hard. okay go!



1. Lets get this started with a little number from my favourite band of all time; Hot Water Music. So many good songs, I think I'll go with this one.

2. Elliot, Lousiville Kentucky. These guys don't record to hard but they go off at their shows. To bad they broke up in 03'. The scene out of Lousiville in the 90's and early 2000's was awesome. I get sentimental listening to them.

3. When I was in 6th grade I had a paper route with my brother, I would always listen to the same cassette on my walkman when I did my route. It was Lagwagon on one side and Nofx on the other side. Then we just started dumping our papers in the garbage and not delivering them anymore...we were fired.

4. so many good bands from Jersey.  Lifetime pumps me up, and when I'm pumped I run faster, that's just the way I work.

5. Sometimes when I get to pumped I have to calm down. To do this I always turn to Chamberlain and their  album The Moon My Saddle.  I have listened to this album before almost every race I have run...ever.  Couldn't really find a good internet based sound bit. Take my word for it, it's quite good.

6. This picture was taken after I saw Avail in 9th grade (I'm the kid with my hand on my face for some reason). Such a good song, such a good band, such a good show. Fuck, thinking of this makes me run fast.

7. Also when I was in 9th grade a bunch of my friends and myself took a bus Toronto to see Strife. I was like 5'6 and 115 lbs and almost got my head kicked in in the mosh, it was rad. Hardcore is awesome, sick chants and breakdown in this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Vg-GG91TE&feature=related

8. Now for something a little newer, The Gaslight Anthem.  Saw these guys in England with Jackson from the Mixtape Collektive crew. We went to England to run fast, neither of us did, but this show made the trip worth while.

9.  Sometimes out there on the roads I need a little hip hop. Actually that's a lie, I don't like hip hop at all. But I really like the Flobots, I went to school in Colorado and these guys were very popular there so I kinda got into them. This song also reminds me of Taylor Milne day up in North Bay.

10. This last song is by the most badass guy in music, Chuck Ragan.  Chuck was in HWM (#1) and since  they broke up he has released two amazing albums.  I have listened to more Chuck than anything else during my marathon buildup. http://www.myspace.com/chuckragan/music/songs/california-burritos-30703626
Also check him out just ripping up a solo version of song #1

Well, that had pretty much nothing to do with running, but keep in mind. I have listened to all of these songs dozens of times as I'm out there on the roads. There are songs that I skip over and only listen to occasionally, but I never skip over these ones. They just rock to hard. Bye.

-rob-

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, that was a like a trip through high school. I love that Lagwagon song. So good. I'm definitely adding these songs to my running mix. Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete