Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas Post sans Christmas music

As I have enjoyed listening to all the songs posted so far I have realized that my music collection is not varied in the least. I always thought I listened to a wide variety of musc, but lately that has not been the case at all. Between large chunks of hip-hop you might find some thing like Iron & Wine, and then a while later come across Modest Mouse or a lesser known artist like Toronto’s Layah Jane.

This week I poked through A LOT of my library with the help of my new headphones (Urbanears, I strongly recommend them to anyone looking for new headphones). The new headphones pick up layers to songs I never knew existed because my speakers are so…well…shit. So with their help I think I’ve found a few songs that were so good they single handedly changed my taste in music at some point in my life. So I guess these are songs that at some point in my life someone has sat me down and said “Shhhhh… It’ll Blow Your Mind!”

The first song in this journey through my childhood was introduced to me when I was…13? Whatever the age, I was a young ladies man spending a couple summer weeks at Camp Neekaunis a few short hours north of Toronto. Coming from a large family I had only really listened to music that my siblings had played when I was around, so naturally when I was asked what bands I like I said Goldfinger. Did I actually listen to a lot of Goldfinger? Well not so much, but I did after that. This song was played at the Camp Dance and of course being a male I thought it was the absolute funniest thing in the world. Now it is the second funniest thing in the world, due to me discovering Scrubs a short while later. So, without further delay, I give you Mable.

Moving on from that little moment of fun we next come to Matt Pond PA. I had heard my brother play Matt Pond before, but lets face it, I thought I was too badass for such soft music at the time (I even had a little bit of a mohawk). Eventually after having no other options for stereo, I listened to his album Emblems. Surprise! I liked it. Eventually my taste mellowed out and I started listening to Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie, and the like, but I will credit this song for being the one that drew me in.

While I do still listen to music like the previous song on an almost daily basis, I have a new love. That love is hip-hop. Again this love comes from going to camp during my summers when I was younger. The group that made the difference this time: Jurassic 5. I can’t say J5 because every time I do people ask “Jackson?” (NO! Not Jackson! Although they were pretty catchy). When I got home that summer, let’s say I was 15, I went straight to my computer and downloaded each J5 song I could find. This one was one of the first I found and it is the one that has stuck with me right through to this post. Enjoy The Influence.

(yes I enjoy the intro too)

Happy Holidays!

Jonah Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment